Thursday, January 27, 2005

Give Me That Old Time News

Long ago, on a cable system far away, there was a channel that wasn't used for anything. So, they chose to broadcast what looked like the output from a Commodore 64 or Apple II (remember I said this was 'long ago'), with the contents of a basic newswire feed. Just the facts, Jack. Something like what the AP or Reuters transmits to your local paper; what they read before they sit down, crank up their typewriter replacement units, and spit out however many column inches the editor demands.

I want that newsfeed back, with a little more text added to flesh out the details. I want it on my TV, for my local and national news, and I want it in an Atom-based format so it can be picked up by a program (browser, aggregator, news search engine, whatever). It does the job and little else... say it with me now - it's "good enough".

I am so tired of the local network news that spends half its time trying to give me a tease before the commercial in the hopes I stay through the commercial. Just give me the news, the weather, the sports in a simple factual style and I'll take it from there.

No comments: