Monday, November 29, 2004

Downgrading to "not quite good enough"?

This is an update to this earlier post about trying to downgrade to an organizer instead of a PDA.

I bought the organizer, and ordered the "free" (I had to pay shipping and handling of course) software that comes with it to back up organizer entries. The organizer works, and the software works, but it's just shy of being "good enough": there's no east way to convert my PDA address information into the backup format for the organizer.

I've played around with the file created when I backed up some test entries I made, and you can see where some of the fields go in the comma-delimited file, but there are a couple of columns that are put in the file whose purpose and meaning aren't clear.

The next step is one I'm debating, whether to spend $30 to see if their "desktop" software will work better for this purpose. I might do it, just to see, since 12.99 for the organizer and $30 for software is still way less than the PDA cost.

The other issue is the LCD on the thing, which is not the finest, but again for this purpose will work OK.

I'll let you know more if and when I find out.

No comments: